When things just aren’t right, we’re here to help

If you’ve filed a claim to seek a resolution and you’re not satisfied with the outcome in the Claim Assessment Report, your first step is to contact your Claim Assessor and Technical Advisor who will review your concerns.

If, after speaking with your Claim Assessor, you remain dissatisfied with the outcome, you may request to have management review your claim. Please submit your request in writing, along with a detailed description of your concerns. Requests can be sent via email to [email protected] or by mail to 301, 30 Springborough Blvd SW, Calgary, AB T3H 0N9.

If you’re still unsatisfied with the decision after review with both the Claim Assessor and management team, you may contact the NHWICC Complaints Officer at [email protected] who will complete a review of the homeowner’s concerns with the assessment. This may involve additional contact with the homeowner and/or various other parties involved in the claim assessment. You will be provided with a final position letter, including dispute options if you remain dissatisfied with the outcome.

After receiving the final position letter from the insurer, NHWICC, and you wish to pursue the matter further, you may contact the General Insurance OmbudService (GIO), which helps resolve differences between insurance companies and their customers, for home, automobile and business insurance issues in Canada. The GIO is an independent dispute resolution service and there is no charge for their services. The GIO will determine if your issue falls within their mandate.

Our Complaints Officer will work with the GIO and all applicable provincial and federal regulators in order to resolve the issue as effectively as possible. The GIO does not provide any type of compensation and its services are non-binding.

You may reach the General Insurance OmbudService at:

General Insurance OmbudService
2727 Courtice Road, P.O. Box 98009
Courtice, ON L1E 3A0

A homeowner may request formal dispute resolution in the form of the legislated mediation process. Mediation is an open discussion facilitated by an impartial third party – the mediator. It’s highly effective in bringing all participants to mutually acceptable and agreed upon solutions.

For questions about this process, please contact your Claim Assessor, or visit BC Housing’s website: https://www.bchousing.org/licensing-consumer-services/new-homes/warranty-complaints

Under the Homeowner Protection Act Regulation (Schedule 2 (section 7), the Government of British Columbia has outlined legislated mediation available to new homeowners. NHWICC is not in a position to interpret the Act or its regulations. We encourage you to seek legal counsel for further clarification.

Home Warranty Insurance Policy underwritten by The New Home Warranty Insurance (Canada) Corporation (NHWICC).